Biden administration reveals plan for splitting COVID-19 vaccine between Africa, Asia and Latin America

On June 21, the United States announced its plans to distribute 55 million COVID-19 vaccine doses to Latin America, Africa and Asian countries like India as well as Bangladesh.

So far, the Biden-Harris administration has announced to share 80 million doses of vaccines against COVID-19 of the country’s supply which president Biden had vowed to allocate by June end in service of ending the pandemic across the world.


The White House stated, “As we continue to fight the COVID-19 pandemic at home and work to end the pandemic worldwide, President Biden has promised that the United States will be an arsenal of vaccines for the world. Part of that plan is donating vaccines from our domestic supply and the President has pledged 80 million doses to be allocated by the end of June.”

Of 80 million doses, 75 per cent will be shares through the global vaccination program known as COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access or COVAX and the remaining 25 per cent will be shared with nations in need.

The White House said in a statement that the goals are to bring an increase in COVID-19 vaccination program globally and prepare for surges along with prioritizing healthcare workers as well as other vulnerable populations based on public health data and acknowledged best practice while helping the country’s neighbours.

The US will buy half a billion Pfizer doses and donate them to 92 low and lower-middle-income nations and the members of the African Union. Additionally, the G7+ has agreed to provide more than a billion doses from summer 2021.