On Monday morning, a fire broke out a shoe factory in the Outer Delhi’s Udyog Nagar. Six workers were rescued from the site however six remained missing. The MCD officials have declared the building dangerous. The Police have filed a case against the owner of the factory who has run away, under IPC section 308.
The fire occurred around 8 am and 23 fire tenders had rushed to the spot. Nine more fire tenders were sent on seeing the intensity of the fire. It took hours before the fire was under control. Until 6 pm the cooling operations were on as the smoke was still coming out of the building. Atul Garg, the Delhi Fire Services Chief had said that they received the call at 8:22 am and rushed over the spot with 33 fire tenders, the fire blaze had spread to the upper floors of the factory, and no casualties had been reported so far, the fire was completely under control while the cooling and search operations continued. However the building had been declared dangerous by the MCD.
The police mentioned that the missing people had been identified as Neeraj, Shamshad, Raju, Vikram, Abhishek, and Ajay.
Parvinder Singh, the DCP outer district, said that there were 12 people trapped inside of the building and they first rescued four people and then two more. The search operations for the remaining six was going on. The flames spread as the building was filled with shoes and slippers, the fire was brought under control after six hours or more.
The entry was done by the officers as there were chances of the building to collapse, an officer said at the spot. He also said that in the start, the firemen tried to enter the first floor through a ladder and then later in the afternoon, a skylift crane helped the officers in reaching the third floor, luckily no bodies had been found.
The cause of the blaze was still uncertain, the officials however suspect a short circuit to be the cause of this incident.
The DCP mentioned that there was only one staircase in the factory and poor ventilation, and that the cause of the fire was ascertained. Howsoever there were only flammable materials like plastic covers, shoe boxes, and he said that anything could have caused the fire.