The Aadhaar card is one of the most important documents one owns. It shows proof of one’s residency and it can be acquired by the citizens of India and resident foreign nationals who have spent over 182 days to 12 months immediately preceding the date of application for enrolment.
It contains one’s details like name, date of birth, address, mobile number and email ID, which has led to fraud. Thus it becomes more pertinent to protect and secure your Aadhaar Card.
In recent tweets by the UIDAI, there has been a mention of a simple solution for people to check of their data is not being misused.
The 12-digit Aadhaar number can be locked. Instead of using the 12-digit Aadhaar number, one can get a 16-digit virtual ID (VID) number, which is also known as Masked Aadhaar.
Virtual ID (VID) number/Masked Aadhaar:
The VID is a temporary and 16-digit random number mapped with the Aadhaar number that is valid ‘valid and accepted widely, according to UIDAI. The VID is mandatory for locking and unlocking Aadhaar biometrics. The person has to download the e-Aadhaar card and then only one has to lock the Aadhaar biometrics.
Way to locking and unlocking Aadhaar biometrics:
- a) Visiting the UIDAI official website.
- b) Using the ‘mAadhaar’ mobile application.
Steps to lock Aadhaar Biometrics via UIDAI’s official website:
1) Visit the official website of UIDAI at uidai.gov.in.
2) Go to the ‘My Aadhaar’ category and go to the ‘My Aadhaar’ category.
3) Go to the ‘Lock/Unlock Biometrics’ option under the r Aadhaar Services section.
4) Enter Login details, and the captcha code and generate OTP.
5) One will receive the one-time password on their registered mobile number.
6) Enter the OTP along with a password of your choice.
7) The check box beside ‘Enable Biometric Locking’ and then click the ‘enable’ button again. Aadhaar card biometrics are now locked.
Steps to lock Aadhaar Biometrics Via mobile SMS:
1) Send an SMS to 1947 to request an OTP on the registered mobile number.
2) The SMS should be written as GETOTP and the last four or eight digits of the Aadhaar number. For example: GETOTPXXXX or GETOTPXXXXXXXX
3) Once the message is delivered, the UIDAI will send you a 6-digit OTP via SMS.
4) Send another message using the OTP. It is needed to be written as LOCKUID along with the last four or eight digits of the Aadhaar number, and the 6-digit OTP. For example, LOCKUIDXXXXOTP or LOCKUIDXXXXXXXXOTP.
5) A confirmation message on the registered mobile number will be received, citing that the Aadhaar biometrics have been locked.
Unlocking Aadhaar biometrics:
The process is quite similar, however, instead of using the digits of the Aadhaar number, needs the last six or 10 digits of the VID number.