When it comes to students giving exams, you can say there are 2 types of students. One who prepares everything in advance and the other who always prepares at the last moment. But, you might have noticed that even after last minute exam preparation, some students still are able to score good marks. But how?
Well there are few memorization techniques that can help one even during last minute studies to score well or at least to pass the exam. So, let’s go through some of these techniques that can help students at last minute exam preparation.
1. Active Recall – The active recall is a technique in which you need to create questions based on the topic and repeatedly test yourself. This forces the brain to retrieve information, making it easier to memorize.
2. Visualization – In this method, you need to picture the things you are studying and understand it. Eg: If you are studying about how Newton discovered gravity when an apple fell on his head, you will have to create a mental image of a man sitting under a tree and an apple falling on his head. Visualization also makes it interesting to study as well as helps memorize stuffs faster.
3. Teaching someone else – Have you ever tried explaining a topic to a friend minutes before an exam and found that you were less likely to forget that? Well that’s because the more you teach something to others, the more your brains recalls the same information and thus, helps in memorizing.
4. Writing – For some people, writing notes by hand works as a memorization technique. Preparing notes can help in understanding and recalling information better.
5. Using flashcards – Flashcards are cards where there is information on both sides. On one side there are questions relating to the topic and on the other side, the answers. You can easily create your own flashcards.
6. Relaxation and taking breaks – Taking short breaks of 3 to 5 mins after completion of a topic is also a method by which your brain can function effectively for recalling stuffs. Stressing too much and without any rest, the brain might not able to retain information effectively.
But, remember that everyone’s study method is different. And you need to find your own study method. Also, it’s better to prepare beforehand for an exam than preparing at the last minute with stress.