Making all efforts to help detained Indian ex-navy officers in Qatar: MEA

The Ministry of External Affairs said today that it is making all efforts to assist the 8 former Indian Navy officers who have been detained in Qatar since August last year.

New Delhi, Apr 13: The Ministry of External Affairs said today that it is making all efforts to assist the eight former Indian Navy officers who have been detained in Qatar since August last year, and that while the legal process against the men has begun the charges have not been made public yet.

Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Arindam Bagchi, answering a query on the issue, said that the case of the detained men “is now in the legal process”.
“Let me emphasis that we are making all efforts to assist the Indians detained and we are also extending consular and legal assistance as part of the legal process; we are also engaged with the Qatari authorities.”

Advertisement

He said the Indian Embassy in Doha is in touch with the families of the detained men.

Bagchi said the last date of hearing was March 29, and the next date is in early May. “We are trying to see what can be done before that in connection with the hearing,” he added.

Asked if the charges against the detained Indians is known, he said: ”My understanding is the charges have not been unsealed, it’s not been made public, but as the legal process unfolds perhaps they will be. We’re keeping an eye on that.”

According to reports, the men were working for Dahra Global Technologies and Consultancy Services, a private firm owned by an Oman Air Force officer. They were picked up by officials of Qatar’s interior ministry on August 30 last year. They were detained on unspecified charges and have been kept in solitary confinement.

Their bail pleas were rejected eight times by Qatari authorities.