CoBRA jawan Rakeshwar Singh Manhas released by the Naxals

Twenty-two security personnel lost their lives in encounter security forces and Naxals on Saturday.

On Thursday, April 6, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawan Rakeshwar Singh Manhas has been released, who was captured by Maoists after the April 3 encounter at Tarrem in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma.

Rakeshwar Singh Manhas belongs to the 210th CoBRA (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action) battalion which is an elite unit of CRPF.


Senior Chhattisgarh Police official said, “The abducted commando, identified as Rakeshwar Singh Minhas, was handed over to local villagers. A group of journalists acted as mediators to secure his release,” The commando reached a security camp near Basaguda in South Bastar on evening.

CoBRA jawan Rakeshwar Singh Manhas brought to CRPF camp, Bijapur after he was released by Naxals. SP of Bijapur expressed his happiness and said, “We have brought him back safely. He will undergo a medical examination by a doctor here.”

Wife of CRPF Jawan Rakeshwar Singh Manhas expressed her views, “I have received official communication of his safe return. His health condition is good and further added Today is the happiest day of my life. I always remained hopeful of his return. I thank the government,” quotes ANI.

On Tuesday, April 6, the banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) released a statement where they demanded that the State government to announce a mediator for the release of the commando.

The Maoists also released a photograph of Rakeshwar Singh Manhas in which he was seen sitting under the shade of a hut in his combat clothes.

Rakeshwar Singh Manhas was part of a squad that had gone for an anti- Naxal operation in jungles on the Bijapur and Sukma border on the night of April 2, hours before the deadly ambush. In the encounter with Naxals between Jonaguda and Tekalguda villages, 22 jawans were killed and 31 others injured along the border of Sukma and Bijapur districts on Saturday.

Out of the total 22 fatalities, the CRPF lost eight men, including seven commandos of the CoBRA battalion CRPF’s elite unit and one Jawan of the Bastariya battalion, eight of the other deceased were from the District Reserve Guard (DRG) and six from the Special Task Force (STF).