Nayantara was born as Diana Mariam Kurien in a Malayali Nasrani (Syrian Christian) family to an Indian Army Officer father, Kurien Kodiyattu, and Omana Kurien, in Bangalore, Karnataka who mainly appears in Tamil films along with Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada films. With her attractive looks and talent, it is no wonder that she is one of the most popular and sought-after actresses in the South Indian film industry. Having starred in lots of popular movies like Chandramukhi, Ghajini, E etc, she became a crowd favorite with her roles in Billa and Yaaradi nee Mohini.
Here are some interesting facts about Mollywood beauty Nayantara.
1. Nayanthara was originally born as Diana Mariam Kurian in Bangalore, Karnataka. She later took up a stage name, calling herself Nayanthara. A while later, she adopted Nayanthara as a legal name too.
2. Nayanthara hails from Thiruvella in Kerala. She was born as Diana Mariam Kurian to Orthodox Malayali Syrian Christian parents.
3. She has acted in over 57 films. She is also the original heroine in Bodyguard the original Malayalam film that was then remade in various languages including the Bollywood version with Dileep.
4. Nayanthara was originally born into a Christian family, originally hailing from Kerela. She was raised as a Syrian Christian. In 2011, she embraced Hinduism at an Arya Samaj Temple in Chennai.
5. In the continuing years, especially 2014, the actress visited a number of Hindu holy places such as Rishkesh and Haridwar.
6. Nayanthara never originally wanted to be an actress, she wanted to pursue chartered accountancy and had studied English Literature from Marthoma College. While working as a part-time model, she was spotted by director Sathyan Anthikkad. She agreed to do ‘just one film’, Manassinakkare that went on to become a high financial success and she continued to receive acting offers.
7. Nayantara used to do part time modelling before becoming an actress. She was recognised by Sathyan Anthikad, seeing her modelling assignments and approached her for ‘Manassinakkare’.
8. Nayanthara created a lot of controversies when she started dated an already married Prabhu Deva. It is even said that she got his name tattooed on her wrist. A lot of hues and cries later and a lot of opposition from Prabhu Deva’s first wife, she broke up with him in 2011. She is all set to marry her fiance, director Vignesh Shivn next year.
9. Allegedly, Nayanthara was offered a dance number in Rohit Shetty’s Chennai Express. It is said that she refused the offer as Prabhu Deva was choreographing the dance number.
10. She won the Nandi and Filmfare Awards for Best Actress for her work in Sri Rama Rajyam.