Afghanistan: Islamic State takes responsibility for rocket attack on Kabul airport

Earlier today, rockets shots were fired on Kabul’s international airport on Monday after the U.S. delayed implementing its full military withdrawal from Taliban occupied Afghanistan.

Nasher News stated on its Telegram network regarding the rocket shots fired at Kabul airport saying, Islamic State claimed responsibility for a rocket attack on Kabul airport on Monday. “By the grace of God Almighty, the soldiers of the Caliphate targeted Kabul International Airport with six Katyusha rockets,” it added. A U.S. official said, anti-missile defences intercepted as many as five rockets fired at Kabul’s airport early on Monday.

Earlier today, rockets shots were fired on Kabul’s international airport on Monday after the U.S. delayed implementing its full military withdrawal from Taliban occupied Afghanistan. Reuters reported no recorded casualties post-attack and said no clarity about who fired the rockets, however adding that the Islamic State has ushered responsibility.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki averred in an official release that President Biden had been briefed on “the rocket attack at Hamid Karzai International Airport” (HKIA). “The President was informed that operations continue uninterrupted at HKIA, and has reconfirmed his order that commanders redouble their efforts to prioritize doing whatever is necessary to protect our forces on the ground,” Psaki added.

U.S. Central Command spokesperson, Capt. Bill Urban joined in with his views stating the officials that, “know” that the strike “disrupted an imminent ISIS-K threat” to Kabul’s airport. He further mentioned that Pentagon is “aware of reports of civilian casualties following our strike” and that officials were investigating this further.

Advertisement