Western Railway’s anti-encroachment drive at Garib Nagar near Bandra East entered its second day on Wednesday, with the operation continuing under Bombay High Court orders and heavy security deployment after over 100 structures were razed on the first day. The drive targets more than 500 illegal structures built on railway land near the tracks and is expected to continue till May 23.

Scale of the operation

The operation began around 8 am on Tuesday amid tense scenes and protests by residents. Authorities deployed around 400 local police personnel, 400 RPF and GRP staff, and more than 200 railway officers and engineering staff. The demolition team included 10 JCB machines, two Poclain machines and 12 trucks — totalling over 1,000 personnel on the ground.

Railway officials said around 20% of the demolition work was completed on the first day, with over 100 structures razed. Only around 100 structures have been identified as eligible for rehabilitation, while the remaining constructions are considered illegal and will be removed in phases.

What the land is worth and why it matters

Nearly 5,200 square metres of railway land — estimated to be worth around ₹600 crore due to its proximity to the Bandra-Kurla Complex — will be cleared during the operation. The cleared land will be used for the extension of the fifth and sixth lines on the Santa Cruz–Mumbai Central corridor, a long-pending project aimed at reducing heavy passenger congestion on local trains. The developments are expected to support Western Railway’s plan to introduce 50 additional suburban train services over the next year. Barricading will be installed after demolition to prevent fresh encroachments.

The legal basis

The demolition drive began after the Bombay High Court, in its May 5 order, allowed Western Railway to continue the removal of structures built on railway land. The court also directed that occupants found eligible during the surveys conducted on August 10 and 11, 2021, must be protected in accordance with existing legal provisions. According to Western Railway officials, the matter had been pending since 2017 and the demolition could only begin after the court recently granted permission.

Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer Vineet Abhishek said the operation was “critical for railway safety, critical capacity upgradation, and national development,” adding that the court had issued “very clear and specific instructions” directing the removal of illegal encroachments.

The human cost

Thousands of residents watched as bulldozers moved into narrow lanes of Garib Nagar, pulling down homes, huts and roadside shops. Many families claimed they had been living in the area for nearly four decades and alleged they were not given adequate notice.

Md Israfil, a tailor from Bihar, said his 15-member family had been living there on rent for 20 years. “We had been receiving demolition notices since 2021, but now we don’t know where to go,” he said. Saqib Ansari said three generations of his family grew up in the settlement. “I came here after marriage 40 years ago. My children and even grandchildren were born here. This morning we emptied our home and watched it being demolished before our eyes.”

The operation remained peaceful despite protests from some residents, with Senior Police Inspector Shahaji Nikam of Bandra Railway Police confirming that no force was used.