Box office blockbusters: Top 10 highest grossing movies of 2023

Superheroes, animation, and action thrillers dominate the Global Box Office.

The year 2023 witnessed an array of highly anticipated movies that captivated audiences worldwide. From beloved franchises to exciting new releases, the box office saw tremendous success. As we bid farewell to the year, let’s take a closer look at the top 10 highest grossing movies of 2023, both domestically and internationally.

1. The Super Mario Bros. Movie
The Super Mario Bros. Movie took the top spot as the highest grossing film of 2023, earning an impressive $1,314,823,990 worldwide. The animated adventure delighted fans of all ages, with its nostalgic appeal and captivating storyline. Domestically, it raked in $570,162,990, accounting for 43.4% of its total gross, while internationally it amassed $744,661,000, making up the remaining 56.6%.

Advertisement

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
In second place is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, the much-awaited installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This superhero extravaganza garnered $805,900,769 globally. Domestically, it earned $335,400,769, representing 41.6% of its total gross, while internationally it brought in $470,500,000, accounting for 58.4%.

3. Fast X
Fast X, the latest installment in the action-packed Fast and Furious franchise, zoomed into third place with a worldwide gross of $652,754,395. While it earned $138,097,395 domestically, contributing to 21.2% of its total gross, it truly raced ahead in international markets, amassing $514,657,000, which made up a significant 78.8%.

4. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania secured the fourth spot, grossing $476,070,968 globally. Domestically, it generated $214,504,697, accounting for 45.1% of its total earnings, while internationally it amassed $261,566,271, making up 54.9%.

5. John Wick: Chapter 4
The action-packed saga of John Wick continued with Chapter 4, landing in fifth place with a worldwide gross of $428,188,427. Domestically, it earned $187,074,946, representing 43.7% of its total gross, while internationally it brought in $241,113,481, accounting for 56.3%.

6. The Little Mermaid
The live-action adaptation of Disney’s beloved classic, The Little Mermaid, made waves at the box office, securing sixth place with a global gross of $414,210,339. Domestically, it charmed audiences and earned $228,810,339, contributing to 55.2% of its total earnings. Internationally, it collected $185,400,000, making up 44.8%.

7. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse swung into seventh place, earning $313,347,201 worldwide. Domestically, it impressed with $225,445,978, accounting for a substantial 71.9% of its total gross, while internationally it added $87,901,223, contributing to 28.1%.

8. Creed III
The adrenaline-pumping boxing drama Creed III fought its way into eighth place, grossing $274,448,615 globally. Domestically, it delivered powerful punches, earning $156,248,615, making up 56.9% of its total earnings. Internationally, it secured $118,200,000, accounting for 43.1%.

9. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Fantasy adventure Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves claimed the ninth spot, grossing $208,177,026 worldwide. Domestically, it embarked on an epic journey and earned $93,277,026, contributing to 44.8% of its total gross. Internationally, it collected $114,900,000, making up 55.2%.

10. Scream VI
Rounding out the top 10 is the highly anticipated horror flick Scream VI, earning $168,961,389 globally. Domestically, it sent shivers down audiences’ spines, grossing $108,161,389, accounting for 64% of its total earnings. Internationally, it scared up $60,800,000, making up 36%.

As the curtains close on 2023, these 10 movies have not only enthralled audiences but also demonstrated the power of storytelling and the global appeal of cinema. Each film has made its mark at the box office, drawing in the crowd and leaving a lasting impact on the industry. Movie enthusiasts eagerly await the next wave of cinematic marvels in the years to come.