Shriya Pushpendra Saran, known as Shriya is an Indian film actress and model. After making her film debut in 2001 with the Telugu film Ishtam, Shriya has not looked back and has grown in popularity exponentially. She rose to prominence when she featured in the Tamil blockbuster Sivaji opposite superstar Rajnikanth in 2007. She also received international acclaim when she was cast in Deepa Mehta’s British-Canadian film Midnight’s Children based on Salman Rushdie’s Booker Prize-winning novel of the same name. Her roles in Uthama Puthiran and Chikku Bukku are appreciated by fans and the public.
Here are some interesting facts about Shriya Saran.
1. Shriya Saran Bhatnagar was born on 11th September 1982 in Haridwar.
2. Her father was a BHEL employee and her mother a chemistry teacher. She has an elder brother Abhiroop Saran She completed her schooling in Delhi Public School and also holds a degree in literature from Lady Shriram College in Delhi.
3. She is a trained Kathak dancer and aspired to become a full-time classical dancer, but life had different plans for her when she was spotted by Ramoji Studios in a music video– Renoo Nathan’s “Thirakti Kyun Hawa”. She was offered the lead role in the Telugu film ‘Ishtam’. After which she starred in the superhit Telugu film ‘Santhosham’.
4. Her favorite actors are Shah Rukh Khan, Amitabh Bachchan, and Rajinikanth. And her favorites actresses are Madhubala, Madhuri Dixit.
5. As of 2017, her net worth is $10 million. She charges 1 crore per film.
6. Apart from South films and Bollywood, Sriya has also acted in American cinema. In 2008, she debut in Ashok Amritraj’s ‘The Other End of the Line’. She also starred in the English film ‘Cooking with Stella’.
7. She was the first actress, and the third celebrity after SRK and Aamir Khan to deliver a lecture to students at the Indian Institute of Management, Amehadabad.
8. She has appeared in several brand endorsements including Ponds, Coca Cola, Fair & Lovely, Head & Shoulders.
9. Shriya is well-known for her charity work. In 2011, she opened a spa which exclusively employs the visually challenged. It is called Shree Spa, and is located in Mumbai.