Vikram was born on 17-04-1966 in Chennai in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. He is an Indian Film Actor, Film Producer, Playback Singer, Voice Artist, Philanthropist, Television Actor & Video Game Artist who known for his work in Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu and Hindi films. He is among the most decorated actors in Tamil cinema, with awards including seven Filmfare Awards South, a National Film Award and a Tamil Nadu State Film Award. Amongst his other honours include the Kalaimamani Award from the Government of Tamil Nadu in 2004 and an Honorary Doctorate by the University of Milan in May 2011. Based on the earnings of Indian celebrities, Vikram was included in the Forbes India Celebrity 100 list for 2016 and 2018.
Here are some interesting facts about Tamil superstar Vikram.
1. He went on to do an English degree at Loyola college, alongside Arvind Swamy, Telugu star Venkatesh and his favourite director, Dharani.
2. He started out as a theatre artiste and even won the Best Actor award from IIT Madras.
3. On the way back from the ceremony, he suffered a bad accident and almost lost a leg. He was bedridden for three years and it was during this that he met his future wife, Shailaja.
4. Vikram and Shailaja were married in Guruvaayoor at a mass marriage event. They have two children – a boy and a girl (Dhruv & Akshita).
5. Due to lack of offers in Kollywood, the actor signed on to play small roles in a spate of Telugu and Malayalam movies, as a way to generate some income.
6. He acted with mega star Mammootty in Malayalam movies Dhruvam,Sainyam etc.
7. Vikram was Mani Ratnam’s first choice for the movie Bombay and even did a photoshoot with Actress Manisha Koirala. Due to some conflicts, the actor later backed out and fellow Loyola alumni Arvind Swamy was brought in as replacement. There were no hard feelings though, as Vikram and Mani Ratnam went on to do the mega budget bilingual Raavanan after a few years.
8. In his lean years, the actor even dubbed for stars Ajith Kumar, Abbas, Prabhudeva and Vineeth.
9. His movie Anniyan broke all the existing records of a Tamil cinema in Kerala. Lot of people watched the film in theatre more than once. Also, the same time it was a hit in piracy cd market it was the glorious time of piracy (2005).
10. Apart from acting, Vikram has also been a part of other film-making processes with credits as a playback singer and as an assistant director. In 2000, Vikram and actress Meena launched a pop album titled Kadhalism, which the pair would sing and appear in music videos for, although the project was completed without much promotion.