Saravanan Sivakumar, known by his stage name, Suriya, is an Indian actor, producer and television presenter, known for his work in Tamil cinema. He is very famous for his Tamil movies and has a great fan following. He was born on 23 July 1975 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. After her debut in Nerukku Ner (1997), Suriya landed her decisive role in Nandha (2001), then had her first major commercial success with the thriller Kaakha Kaakha (2003). Following award-winning performances by a crook at Pithamagan (2003) and a hunchback at Perazhagan (2004), Suriya played the role of a patient with anterograde amnesia in the 2005 blockbuster Ghajini. He won three Tamil Nadu Film Award and four Filmfare Awards South.
Here are some interesting facts about Tamil superstar Suriya.
1. Suriya was born on 23 July 1975 to Tamil film actor Sivakumar and his wife Lakshmi as Saravanan.
2. He attended Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan School and St. Bede’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School in Chennai, and obtained his under graduate degree B.Comfrom Loyola College, Chennai.Suriya has two younger siblings, a brother Karthi and a sister Brindha.
3. Suriya is married to Jyothika, with whom he worked in as many as seven films. The couple, after being together for several years, got married on 11 September 2006.They have two children, a daughter Diya (born 10 August 2007) and a son Dev (born 7 June 2010).
4. Before his career in films, Surya worked at a garment exports factory for eight months. To avoid nepotism, he did not reveal himself to his boss as Sivakumar’s son, but his boss ultimately learnt the truth himself.
5. After working in a garments export company during his formative years, he finally made his big-screen debut with director Vasanth’s ‘Nerrukku Ner’.
6. Apart from acting, the star has also tried his hands at film production and playback singing. He has named his production house 2D Entertainment- first initials of his kids Diya and Dev.
7. The stage name Suriya was bestowed to him by Ratnam to avoid a clash of names with established actor Saravanan. The name Suriya was frequently used for characters in Ratnam’s films.
8. Suriya confessed that he struggled due to lack of confidence, memory power, fighting or dancing skills in his early career, but it was actor Raghuvaran, one of his mentors, who advised him to create his own identity, rather than stay under his father’s shadow.
9. His major break in acting came in the form of Nandha, which was directed by Bala. Playing the role of an ex-convict who is very attached to his mother, he received a Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor.
10. He gained massive popularity with films like ‘Ghajini’, ‘Vaaranam Aayiram’ and ‘Singam’. He is at present a force to be reckoned with. HIs Singam series is the biggest blockbuster series of Tamil cinema.