Vijay Sethupathi is a South Indian film actor, who has worked predominantly in Tamil movie industry. He was working as a background actor and playing minor supporting roles for over five years, before playing his first lead role in Seenu Ramasamy’s Thenmerku Paruvakaatru. He then played the role of villain in Sundarapandian (2012) and had his lead roles in the films Pizza (2012) and Naduvula Konjam Pakkatha Kaanom (2012). He has played in more than 25 films. Over the years, Vijay Sethupathi has turned into a successful “independent film star” and popular in Tamil cinema.
Here are some interesting facts about experimenting Kollywood star Vijay Sethupathi.
1. Owing to not well financial condition, Vijay Sethupathi has done multiple odd jobs for his pocket money. He completed his graduation in Bachelor of Commerce from the Dhanraj Baid Jain College (an affiliate of the University of Madras) in Thoraipakam.
2. Before begging a lead role in movies, Vijay played a small role in TV serials or short films. The names of short films are Thuru, Maa Thavam, Kadhalithu Paar, The Angel and more.
3. Before becoming a versatile Tamil actor, Vijay Sethupathi worked as an accountant. Yes, Vijay joined the theater company Koothu Patrai as an accountant. While working in Koothu Patrai, he started considering career in acting.
4. Besides doing some odd jobs in India, he had to move to Dubai to take care of his three siblings. The reason behind shifting to Dubai is he was offered four times more than that he was earning in India.
5. According to reports, Vijay Sethupathi was a below average student. Besides study, he did not have any interest in sports or any extracurricular activities. Vijay had an interest in acting ever since he was a child.
6. While staying in Dubai, Vijay met a woman named Jessie and they two dated before getting married in 2003.
7. His first movie in a negative role was ‘Sundarapandian’. Directed by S. R. Prabhakaran, the movie also featured M. Sasikumar and Lakshmi Men. Vijay Sethupathi’s commendable acting in the 2017-movie Vikram Vedha earned him the Best Actor award at the Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Tamil, Ananda Vikatan Cinema Awards and Vijay Award for Best Actor.
8. In his 10-year acting career, Vijay has worked in over 25 movies as a lead actor. Besides acting, he also produced three movies namely Orange Mittai, Junga and Merku Thodarchi Malai.
9. Vijay Sethupathi’s first movie as a lead actor was ‘Thenmerku Paruvakaatru’. Written and directed by Seenu Ramasamy, Thenmerku Paruvakaatru won three National Film Awards.
10. After returning to Indian in 2003, he joined a marketing company that dealt with readymade kitchens when he saw Koothupattarai’s poster. He recalled director Balu Mahendra remarking that he had a “very photogenic face”, and motivated him to pursue career in acting.