Rafael Nadal to return to court season with Citi Open

Advertisement

20 times Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal will return to the action on the court with Citi Open confirmed the tournament page on Thursday.

This will be the first time that the world number three Nadal will be seen in action after his French Open loss to the world number one Novak Djokovic in the semi-final. The two-time Olympic gold medalist Spaniard did not participate in the Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics considering taking care of his body and health to prolong his career.

Last seen at the Roland Garros tournament on June 11, King of Clay will return with his debut at the Citi Open in Washington.

“I am looking forward to playing again and Washington shall be the best start for the U.S. Summer Swing for me,” said the Spanish player.

The 35-year-old will take part in the Washington tournament that begins on July 31 and ends on August 8.

Wimbledon semi-finalist Denis Shapovalov of Canada who will face Novak Djokovic tomorrow in the last four of the tournament will also take part in the Citi Open joined by Alex de Minaur of Australia, Hubert Hurkacz of Poland who knocked out eight-times Wimbledon champion Roger Federer on Wednesday and the championship quarter-finalists Karen Khachanov and Felix Auger-Aliassime.

It’s said that the competition Citi Open which was suspended last year because of the pandemic will allow 50℅ capacity of audience at the Rock Creek Park Tennis Center.