New Zealand has abandoned their tour of Pakistan due to their Government giving them an alert about elevated threat levels, according to New Zealand Cricket (NZC).
The BLACKCAPS are abandoning their tour of Pakistan following a New Zealand government security alert.
Arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure.
More information | https://t.co/Lkgg6mAsfu
— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) September 17, 2021
The team was supposed to play three One Day matches and three T20 International matches in Pakistan. The ODI series was supposed to be played in Rawalpindi, while the T20I series is being played in Lahore.
New Zealand was touring Pakistan after 18 years. The Black Caps toured the country last in 2003 when they played a five-match ODI series. Pakistan whitewashed them 5-0 at that time due to Imran Farhat and Mohammad Sami. A statement was released by the NZC saying that the side was supposed to play three ODI matches and five T20I matches between themselves in Rawalpindi and Lahore respectively. The statement contained by saying that following an escalation in the threat levels for Pakistan from the New Zealand Government and advice from NZC’s security experts on the ground, they decided that it will be best not to continue the tour. It ended by saying that arrangements are being made for the team’s departure.
NZC has said that it will not comment further about the details of the security threat nor the updated arrangements for the departing squad. The Pakistan Cricket Board has also said that they were disappointed with the last-minute withdrawal. They said that they made foolproof security arrangements and assured NZ Cricket the same. The Prime Minister of Pakistan spoke to his counterpart in New Zealand and assured them about their intelligence systems. They said that the security officials with NZ were satisfied with the arrangements. They ended by saying that they are still willing to play the scheduled matches but were disappointed by this withdrawal.
Earlier today, the New Zealand cricket board informed us that they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series.
PCB and Govt of Pakistan made fool proof security arrangements for all visiting teams. 1/4
— Pakistan Cricket (@TheRealPCB) September 17, 2021