The Indian Premier League hasn’t started but it is still in the headlines because the franchises have started retaining and releasing players ahead of it. The Indian Premier League 2023 is months away and the franchises are ready to take on the challenge this year after Gujarat Titans lifted the trophy last year.
All the teams have announced their retention and released players’ names on Tuesday, 15th November ahead of the season. There were shocking names on the released players’ list. Fans were shocked to see some of the top players released by their franchises before the IPL 2023 auction. The trading of the players is also taking place.
Top players released by franchises ahead of IPL 2023 mini auction:
1. Kane Williamson: Kane Williamson was one of the biggest names on the Sunrisers Hyderabad’s released players’ list. The captain of the franchise was released and it was shocking for the fans. Kane Williamson wasn’t expected to be released by SRH but now it seems he will have to find some new jersey for the new season of the IPL.
2. Mayank Agarwal: Another shocking name on this list was Punjab Kings’ former captain Mayank Agarwal. Punjab Kings decided to release him this year as the batter wasn’t in good touch last season. The franchise has also named the Indian cricket team opener Shikhar Dhawan as their new skipper.
3. Nathan Coulter-Nile: The pacer is also out of the Rajasthan Royals’ team now. The pace bowler didn’t get much game time last season with the last season’s finalist. Nathan Coulter-Nile wasn’t fitting into the team combination and was thus kept out of the team in IPL 2022.
4. Dushmantha Chameera: The Sri Lankan pacer is also out of the Lucknow Super Giants team and performed well for them last season. It seems the player didn’t want to continue in the franchise this year and wants some new challenge.
5. Jason Holder: Lucknow Super Giants also decided to release former West Indies captain Jason Holder. Holder did play some games for LSG but wasn’t able to impress the team much and the team also couldn’t go beyond Eliminator.
6. Dwayne Bravo: The former purple cap winner for CSK will no longer be seen in the yellow jersey. The all-rounder is not selected by CSK for the upcoming season and could be seen in some new jersey. This was another shocking name on this released players’ list.
7. Robin Uthappa: The former opening batter of CSK is also released and it seems the batter will no longer be seen playing in IPL. Robin announced his retirement from all forms of cricket a few months ago and thus couldn’t be retained by the franchise.
8. Pat Cummins: Kolkata Knight Riders released so many players ahead of the new season and one of the big names in this list was Pat Cummins. The all-rounder did well for the franchise in IPL 2021 but failed to deliver the same last season. The player will now be seen in the IPL auctions.
9. Aaron Finch: The Australian opener Aaron Finch is set to play for another team after being released by KKR this year. Finch has played for almost every franchise and hasn’t found his best team yet. It will be interesting to see which team gets Aaron Finch this time.
10. Kieron Pollard: Kieron Pollard wouldn’t have been released by Mumbai Indians but he himself announced his retirement just before the list was announced by all the franchises on Tuesday, 15th November. Pollard served Mumbai Indians in the IPL for more than 10 years and now there will be no ‘Pollard show’ in the Indian stadiums.