According to CNN, there is now hope that it will be able to evacuate foreign nationals from Sudan after a week of war after both rival parties vying for control of Sudan said they are ready to do so.
The United States, the United Kingdom, France, and China are among the countries whose citizens and diplomats the Sudanese army recently said it has agreed to help evacuated.
According to the announcement, evacuations are expected to start “within the coming hours,” CNN reported on Saturday.
The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) said on Friday that they were prepared to partially reopen all airports in Sudan to aviation traffic in order to permit nations to evacuate their citizens.
Last Saturday, intense battle broke out in Sudan between the paramilitary RSF, led by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, and the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF), under the leadership of General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan.
Last Saturday, intense fight broke out in Sudan between the paramilitary RSF, led by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, and the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF), under the command of General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan.
Although they had been partners in the past, tensions arose as a result of discussions about incorporating the RSF into the military as part of efforts to restore a civilian government.
Even though the Sudanese army said it had achieved an agreement with the opposing Rapid Support Forces (RSF) for a three-day ceasefire to let civilians mark the Muslim festival of Eid al-Fitr, fighting continued in Khartoum on Friday. A 72-hour ceasefire in observance of Eid was reached, the RSF reported earlier in the day.
According to an Al Jazeera report, nations including as Germany, Japan, South Korea, Spain, and the US have been unable to evacuate embassy employees since Khartoum’s airport has been struck by violence and the skies are unsafe.
A Western diplomat claims that the Sudanese evacuation situation is one of the most difficult ones they have ever faced. The US is likely focusing on bringing about the truce so that its personnel can be evacuated. According to statements made in Washington, individual US citizens who reside in Sudan shouldn’t anticipate a planned evacuation by the US government. Vedant Patel, the deputy spokesman for the US State Department, said that hundreds of Americans who were thought to be still in Sudan were being contacted by the authorities.
The death of a US citizen there was confirmed by the State Department on Friday.
Following the overthrow of longstanding dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019, a plan for a transition to a civilian democracy was interrupted by a coup in 2021 between Sudan’s military head and his deputy on the ruling council. By the end of 2023, elections were planned.