Facebook takes down 7 million posts containing misinformation about COVID-19

Facebook removed seven million posts containing false information about the novel Coronavirus between April and June, it said on Tuesday in the data released as part of its sixth Community Standards Enforcement Report, introduced in 2018.

The company said that it has removed COVID-19 misinformation posts including content that promoted fake protective measures and exaggerated cures from its flagship app and Instagram. It had also put warning notes on almost 98 million posts that were misleading but not harmful enough to remove.

Advertisement

Earlier, it had removed a post from Donald Trump’s page which included a video containing false information about the coronavirus.

Facebook had previously removed about 22.5 million posts with hate speech and 8.7 million posts connected to extremist organizations on its app.

Facebook said that it relied more on automated technology for checking on the contents during this quarter as there were lesser employees at the office due to the pandemic and would invite proposals from experts to audit the metrics used in the report, beginning 2021.

Facebook announced that it would publish the Community Standards Enforcement Report on a quarterly basis from August 2020 onwards to effectively track their progress and detailing the preventive actions taken against contents that violate their policy so as to create a more safe, dignified and authentic platform to express people’s voices.