Losing any photo on your device can put you in trouble. There are many reasons why photos get deleted from your device. When any photo is deleted from your device, it is moved to the Recycle Bin. The deleted photo remains in the Recycle Bin until it is permanently deleted. But if you delete your photos using the Shift + Key keys, they will be permanently deleted from your device.
Whatever the case may be, there are several ways to recover deleted photos on your device. When you delete any photo from your device, the lost pictures are not deleted permanently. The space it was occupying will be made available for new files. It is possible to recover the deleted photos till that space is not overwritten by any new file. In this post, we will discuss everything that you need to know to recover deleted photos easily.
What Causes Deletion of Photos on Your Device?
There are many reasons why photos get deleted from your system. Before you proceed with any method to deleted photo recovery, it is important to find the exact cause of such data loss. Some main causes why you may experience photo loss issues are:
- Accidental deletion: One of the main reasons for the deletion of your photos is their accidental deletion. You may have deleted photos from your device by mistake.
- Formatting: When you format any storage device without backup, all its contents get deleted and will result in the loss of all data, including photos.
- Overwriting: While overwriting the storage device, new photos or data get written on them, which causes the old data to be overwritten and lost.
- Improper transfer: Any problem while transferring photos from one storage device to another can cause data loss, including photos.
- Power failure: Sudden loss of power can cause data loss while saving data on the device can corrupt the storage device or cause the device to shut down abruptly while in use.
- Virus or Malware attacks: A virus/malware attack can corrupt files on your device. It sometimes allows hackers to steal data or delete your data without any consent.
How to Recover Deleted Photos Quickly?
Now that you are familiar with the causes of data loss issues on your system, it’s time to learn how to recover deleted photos. Just go with the deleted photo recovery methods mentioned in this section of the article to get your deleted photos back. Though you can start any method first, we recommend you to go with the first method first and then continue.
Method 01: Recover Lost Photos from Recycle Bin or Trash
- When you delete any folder on your device, it first goes to your device’s Recycle Bin (Windows) or Trash (Mac). Recycle Bin is the first place on your Windows device where you should check if your deleted data is present there. In case, if your deleted photo is present in the Recycle Bin, go with the following steps to recover deleted photos from the Recycle Bin:
- Launch Recycle Bin folder located on your desktop.
- Find and select the photos that you need to restore.
- Right-click on that photo and select Restore.
Alternatively, you can drag and drop the selected pictures to a folder where you want to save them. Wait till the recovery process gets completed and then check if your restored photo is present in the desired folder.
Method 02: Restore Lost Photos from Backup
If you regularly back up your photos, then you can use it to restore deleted photos if issues like data loss occur. Windows OS provides a built-in utility tool that you can use to back up and restore your lost items. Go with the below-given steps to get your deleted photos back using this method:
- Open Control Panel in your system and go to Backup and Restore Windows (10).
- Select one option among Restore my files or Restore all users’ files.
- Now, select the deleted pictures that you need to restore.
- Click either the ‘Browse for files’ or ‘Browse for folder’ button or then click the Next button.
- At last, click Next and then click the Restore button to restore your photos to the storage media.
Method 03: Use Data Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos
There are various photo recovery software available online that you can try if you have emptied the Recycle Bin and don’t have any backup to recover deleted photos. Professional photo recovery tools, such as Stellar Photo Recovery, allow you to restore deleted photos in a few simple clicks. This image recovery tool completely scans your storage drive and detects all the deleted photo files.
Stellar Photo Recovery tool easily Scans, preview, and recover deleted photos from your device without any previous backup. This all-in-one image recovery tool can recover your permanently deleted photos and video files of multiple formats. The deep scan feature of this tool searches for lost data by performing a comprehensive scan of the selected drive and location.
Step-by-Step Instructions to Restore Deleted Photos Using Stellar Photo Recovery:
- You need to download and install the Stellar Photo Recovery app on your device.
- Launch the software and from the “Select Location to Scan” button, select the drive, volume, or external media where your deleted photo was stored. Click Scan to continue.
- Once the scanning process is complete, preview the recoverable files before saving them on your device.
- Now, select the photos that you want to restore and click the Recover button to save those photos at the desired location.
How to Prevent Loss of Photos on Your Device?
You can consider the following tips to prevent the loss of photos on your device:
- Take regular backups: The best way to prevent your photos from deletion is to take backups of your data items on a regular basis. You can back up your photos to an external drive or cloud storage services, like Google Cloud or Dropbox.
- Avoid accidental deletion of photos: Be cautious when you delete any photo on your device, double-check before deleting any item.
- Use Antivirus to protect your device: As virus or malware is also the main cause of data loss, so use anti-virus software to protect your device from them.
- Keep your device updated: Make sure that your device’s operating system and the software installed in it are up to date. Installing the latest updates often prevents the data loss issue on your device.
In conclusion, losing photos on your device can be a frustrating experience especially if you deleted anything important by mistake. However, you can apply various methods that we have provided above in this article to recover deleted photos. If the manual methods fail to restore your lost photos, try using tools like Stellar photo recovery to get your deleted photos in a few simple clicks. It is always better to prevent the loss of photos by regularly backing up your photos either using reliable storage devices or cloud storage.