Narendra Modi, a sensational politician, who has served the nation as Chief Minister of Gujarat from 2001 to 2014. Later, was elected as the Prime Minister of India for the second time in 2019. He is a great orator who is always compared to have possessed the vision of Mahatma Gandhi. Currently, he represents Varanasi constituency in the Lok Sabha. Here’s a brief story-line on how small-town man made it to be the Prime Minister of India.
Early life and education
- Narendra Damodardas Modi was born too late Damodardas Mulchand Modi and Heeraben Damodardas Modi, on 17th September 1950 in Vadnagar, Mehsana, Gujarat.
- In his childhood, he helped his father in selling tea at the Vadnagar Railway Station.
- He did his schooling in the SSC board, Gujarat. And, completed his secondary education by 1967.
- He joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) at the age of eight.
- He left home at the age of 17 and wandered across the country. Especially visited ashrams founded by Swami Vivekananda.
- Modi returned to Vadnagar after two years and again left home, to live with his uncle in – Ahmedabad, who worked in the canteen at the Gujarat State Road Transport.
- In 1971, at the age of 21, Modi formally joined RSS and became the full- time Pracharak.
- He pursued a BA in Political Science, a distance education course from Delhi University. And, completed an MA from Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, in 1983.
- Modi joined Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as the general secretary of the Gujarat branch in the year 1987.
- He was appointed as the Secretary of the BJP’s national unit, in 1995.
- He became the General Secretary in 1988 and held the position till 2001.
- With Keshubhai Patel’s resignation due to health complications, Modi took oath as the Chief Minister of Gujarat on 7th October 2001. He remained at this post for three consecutive terms.
- He won the by-election on 24th February 2002, of the Rajkot II constituency. He also won the assembly election twice from Maninagar
- He swore in as the Prime Minister of India for the first time, on 26th May 2014. He is still continuing in the position by winning the election again in 2019
Narendra Modi’s life accomplishment is an inspiring story for the young generation, as he says, “Don’t dream to be something but rather dream to do something great”.