UEFA to review unpleasant Atletico-City scenes

Manchester City will encounter Real Madrid in the semi-finals of the Champions League.

Feelings boiled as Manchester City progressed to the UEFA Champions League semifinals after a gritty second-leg battle versus Atlético Madrid on Wednesday. City carried a 1-0 lead into the encounter at Wanda Metropolitano Stadium and battled on for a goalless draw in a frantic contest that turned brutal in the final minutes. With the tie drifting apart from the hosts, few Atleti players could not restrain their emotions and lashed furiously at their rivals. 

Following a consequence of the flurry of conflicts that disrupted Atletico Madrid’s Champions League match versus Manchester City on Wednesday night, the club might also face UEFA intervention.


The Spanish giants were knocked from the tournament after a 0-0 tie at the Wanda Metropolitano handed Man City a 1-0 aggregate triumph, however conflicts among both side’s players on the pitch and even in the tunnel post, the game overshadowed the encounter.

After a hard tackle from Felipe earlier in the first half, Atletico’s men did not pull away in the mistreatment of their Man City rivals, and Phil Foden was left seeking care for a head injury. After collecting a second yellow card for pushing out at the same player, Atletico defender Stefan Savic – previously of Manchester City – ignited a brawl when he appeared to overpower Foden whilst he was down.

Over the same episode, Savic fired a headbutt at Raheem Sterling and snatched the hair of Jack Grealish, but neither the on-field officials nor the VAR opted to condemn the Atletico centre-back. Just after the final whistle, the nasty exchanges continued, with a video showing players’ tempers flaring as they retreated into the dugout. Sime Vrsaljko, an untested Atletico sub, was supposedly spotted throwing a bottle at Aymeric Laporte, as police raced in to defuse the situation.

UEFA has claimed they will need to retrieve findings from the referee and match delegate until considering whether to commence disciplinary proceedings, even though referee Daniel Siebert only handed one red card on the evening as per Sky Sports.

Liverpool tied 3-3 versus Benfica in an engrossing encounter, however, won 6-4 on aggregate to advance to the semifinals. Conversely, Manchester City will meet Real Madrid, the 13-time champion, for a spot in the final.