A report has claimed that Tottenham Hotspur forward Richarlison told the club to sack their coach Antonio Conte within a short period. Richarlison has denied the reports. His statement expressed regret for not meeting the Italian coach’s expectations.
Richarlison has denied he led a mutiny against now former Tottenham manager Antonio Conte ❌ pic.twitter.com/oO1FQDYNor
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) March 31, 2023
“Telling lies about me, I refuse! I’ve always respected Conte,” the 25-year-old said on social media. I wasn’t a mutiny leader against him; it was quite the opposite. I’m sorry I didn’t deliver as much as he expected of me and I didn’t do enough for him to stay. He helped me a lot, and whenever we had a problem, even if it was public, we solved it based on conversation and professionalism, and he can confirm.”
Richarlison, injured during the dramatic clash at St Mary’s, was later accused by a journalist from Argentinian broadcaster TyC Sports. He was charged with giving an ultimatum to Tottenham alongside club teammate Cristian Romero over Conte’s future. But the Brazil international rejected those allegations on Thursday.
It was by mutual consent that Conte left Spurs on Sunday. In the week before this, he had been on an extraordinary rant in which he had criticised his players for their “selfishness” following a 3-3 draw with Southampton.