Manchester City and French International defender Benjamin Mendy seem to be treading in deep waters as the English prosecutors on Tuesday charged him with 2 more rape counts. The left-back was already alleged with 4 counts of rape and 1 count of sexual assault. It is believed that he inflicted the offenses between the period of October 2020 and August 2021. He played his last game on the 15th of August against Tottenham and was suspended later that month and has been in custody for the same violations ever since.
Reuters reports Crown Prosecutor’s statement in which they said, “The CPS has authorized Cheshire Constabulary to charge two men in connection with additional allegations of serious sexual assault.” This statement came out on Tuesday. Luis Saha Mattuire is the other man being talked about in this statement. He, too, has been charged with two additional rape counts and one sexual assault charge. Both the men last appeared before the court on September 10th and were told to stand trial from January 24th next year.
Mendy’s lawyer, who previously denied all the claims and allegations, is yet to comment on these new counts. Both the men are to appear in front of the Stockport Magistrates’ court on Wednesday.
The French international joined Manchester city in 2017 from Ligue 1 side club AS Monaco for a fee of 52 million pounds. He represented Manchester City in a total of 75 matches and won 3 Premier League titles as well. His playtime, however, has been low due to persistent injuries and lack of form.