Liverpool beat City 3-2 to reach FA CUP final

Liverpool and Manchester City both advanced to the semifinals of the Champions League this week.

It was a beautiful day in England for Jurgen Klopp’s first FA Cup semi-final, and the next pivotal step in Liverpool’s chase for a quadruple this year. 

Ibrahima Konate, Naby Keita, and Luis Diaz were amongst the three changes from the squad that tied 2-2 at the Etihad six days prior. City produced five alterations from that league game, and Liverpool would definitely be the fresher club after their physically demanding meet versus Atletico Madrid in midweek. And so it panned out. Unlike last week, when City raced out flying, Liverpool overpowered from the start.


Manchester City’s treble hopes were smashed in the first half of the FA Cup semi-final versus Liverpool at Wembley. City and Liverpool deadlocked 2-2 in the Premier League six days ago, retaining the Blues just at top of the overall rankings, and both sides advanced to the Champions League in midweek. Liverpool, on the contrary end, were able to lay down seven key players, while City was crushed as they played Atletico Madrid

Kevin De Bruyne was included in Pep Guardiola’s roster, except on the bench, and Kyle Walker was left off after both stumbled off against Atletico Madrid. Guardiola forced seven changes to that team, and an absolutely full Liverpool side took advantage of their naivety.

Sadio Mane snuck in while Zack Steffen pondered being handed a second under his bar. Before actual halftime, Mane netted the third goal with a wonderful volley. Grealish drew equal 70 seconds through into the second half, and Bernardo Silva’s 90th-minute goal set up a tight finale, but the Reds proceeded to the final.

In the final minutes, Liverpool took hold, hoping to finish the match and achieve their first FA Cup final in ten years, while also bringing an end to City’s treble ambitions. Liverpool was clutching on, with the four minutes of added time being one of the most nerve-wracking of the season. On May 14, the Reds will meet either Chelsea or Crystal Palace in the final.