The Tata IPL 2022 season will begin on March 26 at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. In the first match, defending champions, Chennai Super Kings will encounter Kolkata Knight Riders. Many bowlers have bowled excellent spells in the IPL over the years. However, there are a few instances were when a bowler put on an outstanding bowling display and became the match’s star. Let’s look at the top five bowling performances in the Indian Premier League.
1) Alzarri Joseph: West Indies speedster Alzarri Joseph tops the list of having the best bowling figures in the league. During IPL 2019, while playing for Mumbai Indians, Joseph blew away Sunrisers Hyderabad’s batting order with his ferocious spell of 6/12. Mumbai was just able to put on 136-7 in the first innings in the match. With Joseph’s stunning bowling, Mumbai restricted Hyderabad for 96 and won the game by 40 runs.
2) Sohail Tanvir: Although Pakistan players are no longer involved in the IPL, Sohail Tanvir remains in the top five of the tournament’s most significant bowling figures. Tanvir was a player of the Rajasthan Royals during the 2008 season. In his spell against the Chennai Super Kings, the left-arm bowler took six wickets for 14 runs. Chennai Super Kings were knocked out for 109 runs in the match. Later, Rajasthan Royals comfortably chased down the target and won by eight wickets.
3) Adam Zampa: Adam Zampa is ranked third on the list. During his time with the Rising Pune Supergiants in the IPL 2016, the right-arm wrist spinner took six wickets by giving away just 19 runs. In the match, Sunrisers Hyderabad batted first. Pune managed to confine them to 137-8 thanks to Adam Zampa’s brilliant bowling display. However, with SRH’s excellent bowling, the Rising Pune Supergiants could not chase down the target. Pune could only manage 133-8 in 20 overs, losing the match by four runs.
4) Anil Kumble: Former Indian skipper Anil Kumble has the 4th best bowling figure in the league. While playing for Royal Challengers Bangalore, Kumble put up an outstanding bowling performance against the Rajasthan Royals. Batting first, RCB could only manage a score of 133-8. They did, however, successfully defend their score with a spectacular bowling display. Anil Kumble bowled 3.1 overs, taking five wickets by giving away just five runs. RCB won the game by 75 runs after bowling out the Rajasthan Royals for 58 runs.
5) Ishant Sharma: The veteran Indian tall fast bowler might not be considered one of the top bowlers in IPL, but his name does arise when we look at the best bowling figures in the tournament’s history. Playing for Deccan Chargers, In 2011, Ishant bowled a fierce spell of 5/12 in three overs. His fantastic bowling performance restricted Kochi Tuskers Kerala to a score of just 74 runs while chasing a target of 130.