The much-anticipated IPL 2023 final between Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Gujarat Titans (GT) faced a setback due to rain on Sunday. With continuous downpour and hailstorms in Ahmedabad, the organizers decided to postpone the match to the reserve day, leaving fans hoping for better weather conditions.
According to the weather report, the forecast suggests a complete 40-over match between the two powerhouse teams. However, the evening might remain partly cloudy with a wind speed ranging from 10 to 15 km/hour.
Despite the positive outlook, one can never be certain if rain will disrupt the proceedings on the reserve day at the Narendra Modi Stadium. In such a scenario, let’s explore the possible scenarios:
1. Rain Delays Start of the Match:
– If rain delays the start of the match but play begins before 9:40 pm, no overs will be lost.
– However, any delay beyond 9:40 pm will result in a reduction of overs:
– 19-over game if play starts by 9:45 pm
– 17-over game if play starts by 10 pm
– 15-over game if play starts by 10:30 pm
2. Cut-Off Time:
– The cut-off time for a match to start is 12:06 am. If no play is possible before this time, a five-over-a-side match will be conducted.
3. Super Over:
– If a match is not possible within the cut-off time, a Super Over will determine the winner.
– For a Super Over to take place, the outfield and pitch must be ready by 1:20 am.
4. Title Decider:
– If the match does not go into a Super Over, Gujarat Titans will win the title as they finished ahead of Chennai Super Kings on the points table.
– Gujarat accumulated 20 points, securing the top spot, while Chennai had 17 points and finished second.
5. Rain Interruptions during the Match:
– If rain arrives during the first innings and lasts for a considerable time, the number of overs will be reduced to accommodate both teams’ batting.
– If rain completely washes out the second innings after a smooth first innings, Gujarat Titans will be crowned champions.
– If the first innings is played and rain interrupts after five overs in the second innings, the Duckworth-Lewis (DL) rule will come into effect.
– If the match goes into DL calculations but play remains impossible, Gujarat Titans will win the title.
Chennai Super Kings aim to clinch their fifth IPL crown, while Hardik Pandya’s Gujarat Titans aspire to establish their legacy with consecutive titles. The final outcome will depend not only on the teams’ performance but also on the unpredictable nature of the weather.