The Indian team which is currently in Australia has been in the middle of controversies for the past few days as they have been allegedly found to be breaking the protocols set by Cricket Australia. This is the first tour for the Indian team since the pandemic hit the globe and stopped cricket for a long time. The players earlier participated in the IPL which was held in UAE where BCCI had ensured the safety of all the players and staff by setting a very strict protocol for everyone during these testing times.
The Indian team traveled directly to Australia after completing the IPL for a full tour after a long time. The team was touring for 3 ODI’S, 3 T20Is, and 4 tests. While the Aussies won the ODI series convincingly, the Indian team won the T20 series easily by 2-1. The tests are underway as of now with the series leveled at 1-1. Virat Kohli who is the captain of the side had already taken a paternity leave as he is expecting the birth of his first child. He played for most of the series and left after losing the first test in Adelaide.
Recently the team has been in the middle of controversies as five key players of the squad namely Rishabh Pant, Rohit Sharma, Prithvi Shaw, Shubman Gill, and Navdeep Saini are under investigation for allegedly breaching the protocols set by Cricket Australia. The incident came into the limelight after a fan spotted them at a restaurant and paid for their bill. The players then interacted with the fan and allegedly hugged them as per the fan’s tweet which he posted sometime later. Later the fan cleared the air and said that the players didn’t hug them. He said that he got excited and by mistake added that part in the tweet. After this incident, the BCCI and Cricket Australia launched an investigation about the same and placed all the involved under isolation as a precaution. The BCCI has made their stance clear on this incident and denies any breach in protocol.
After this incident, the Australian media have also alleged that the skipper Virat Kohli and all-rounder Hardik Pandya also breached the protocols when they were here. This came in after the media dug photos from December 7 where the duo visited a kid’s shop to buy some stuff. They were spotted clicking photos with people without masks which raised the concern of a potential breach.
The five players are expected to fly tomorrow to Sydney with the team as they leave for Sydney for the third test.