Meghalaya Governor Satya Pal Malik today welcomed a central agency probe into allegations of corruption in Jammu and Kashmir, saying he had informed Prime Minister Narendra Modi about a bribe of Rs 300 crore offered to him to clear two files while he was the governor of the erstwhile state.
“The Prime Minister backed me up and said there should be no compromise on corruption,” he explained. After the Jammu and Kashmir administration approached the central probe agency late last month, the CBI launched an investigation into the allegations made by Satya Pal Malik.
“Two files had arrived for my review. One of the secretaries informed me that if I approve these, I will be paid Rs 150 crore for each one. I declined the offer, claiming that I had brought five kurta pyjamas with me to Kashmir and would simply return with them,” Mr Malik said this at a function in Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan, on October 17 last year.
According to PM Modi, the bribes were offered by people close to him, one of whom was linked to the BJP’s ideological parent RSS, and the other to one of India’s top industrialists.
Mr Malik said today that while he wasn’t directly offered the bribes, he was aware of everyone involved. He went on to say that he knows of more people who were involved and that he will reveal their identities as the investigation progresses.
“Both of the deals had been cancelled by me. There is no investigation into my conduct,” he claimed that there had been false rumours that his involvement would be investigated as well.
In response to speculation that he is being investigated because he publicly supported farmers’ anti-government protests, he stated that he is willing to be investigated by the CBI and would even provide additional information to aid the investigation.
“I am not afraid, and I will continue to speak up for farmers. I’m not going to be intimidated, and I’m going to fight.” Mr Malik went on to say that even after he retires, he will continue to work on issues affecting farmers.