The PM Vishwakarma initiative is a program introduced by the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. This initiative was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on September 17, in honor of ‘Vishwakarma Jayanti’. The primary objective of this scheme is to provide support to individuals involved in traditional crafts. The scheme has a budget allocation of ₹13,000 crore.
Speaking at launch of PM Vishwakarma Yojana at the newly inaugurated Yashobhoomi convention centre. https://t.co/aOpIO1aW5z
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 17, 2023
- The scheme has an outlay of Rs 13,000 crore.
- It aims to improve the quality and reach of products and services offered by artisans and traditional craftspeople.
- To participate in the scheme, Vishwakarmas will have to register on the PM Vishwakarma portal through the Common Services Centres.
- Artisans and craftspeople will be provided recognition through PM Vishwakarma certificate and ID card.
- Upon registration, Vishwakarmas will get skill training, a toolkit incentive of Rs 15,000, collateral-free credit support of up to Rs 1 lakh (first tranche) and Rs 2 lakh (second tranche) at a concessional rate of 5% interest for digital transactions and marketing support.
The scheme is designed to offer a wide range of benefits to various professions including tailors, carpenters, basket weavers, barbers, blacksmiths, goldsmiths, potters, and many more. It extends its reach to both urban and rural areas, creating employment opportunities for approximately 15,000 individuals every year.
The PM Vishwakarma Scheme covers eighteen traditional crafts across rural and urban areas in India. These include professions such as carpentry, boat making, blacksmithing, goldsmithing, pottery, sculpture, stone breaking, cobbling, masonry (Rajmistri), basket/mat/broom making/coir weaving, traditional doll and toy making, barbering, garland making, washing clothes (washerman), tailoring and fishing net making.
The official website for the PM Vishwakarma Scheme is https://pmvishwakarma.gov.in/