The Indian Jewelry market has grown from USD 50b in FY18 to USD 80B in FY24 – Motilal Oswal Financial Services

Motilal Oswal Financial Services Ltd (MOFSL) suggest that the size of the Indian jewelry retail sector was close to USD80b (INR6,400b) in FY24.There are multiple drivers in the industry leading to such rapid growth, driven by rising disposable income (higher per capita growth in double digits), an improving mix for regular wear (beyond weddings and investment-led), enhanced product offerings (design, diamonds, etc.), trust-building through hallmarking, and a better buying experience at organized retail outlets Within this landscape, organized retail accounted for about 36-38% and comprised both pan-India and regional players.

The remainder of the jewelry retail sector continued to be dominated by the unorganized/local players, comprising over 500,000 local goldsmiths and jewelers. The total gold consumption in India was attributed to 66% for jewelry and remaining 34% for bars & coins.

Advertisement

India’s gold supply is dominated by imports

The gold market experienced notable fluctuations in imports from FY18 to FY20, reaching 980 tonnes in FY19 before declining to 720 tonnes in FY20. This volatility was led by various factors, including declines in global gold prices, buoyant economic conditions leading to heightened disposable incomes, and substantial demand for gold due to traditional celebrations and weddings. However, in FY20, a significant drop occurred due to escalating import duties and the initial stages of an economic slowdown.

Top 10 states contribute 78% of the organized retail network
We captured the store locator for top 18 organized retailers to analyze the statelevel competitive landscape and market mix of each player. The top 10 states contribute 78% of the organized retail network of over 2,000 stores. These states contribute 60% of the total population and 68% of the GDP. Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Karnataka, West Bengal, and Uttar Pradesh are the top 5 states with a store mix of 15%, 14%, 10%, 8% and 7%, respectively.