Russia reports 1 Death & 27 missing after loss of Moskva cruiser sinking

After the Moskva missile cruiser sank last week, Russia confirmed Friday that one crew member died and 27 went missing, marking Moscow’s first confirmation of the tragedy’s losses.

After the Moskva missile cruiser sank last week. Russia confirmed Friday that one crew member died and 27 went missing, marking Moscow’s first confirmation of the tragedy’s losses.

The Black Sea Fleet’s flagship had been leading Russia’s naval effort in Ukraine’s nearly two-month conflict. Playing a key part in the siege of Mariupol’s port city.

Parents and other family members of sailors who served onboard the Moskva. Including conscripts, turned to social media after the ship sank. Claiming that their children had gone missing and that they sought answers.

“As a result of a fire on April 13, the Moskva missile cruiser was seriously damaged due to the detonation of ammunition,” the defence ministry said in a statement carried by Russian news agencies late Friday.

“One serviceman was killed, another 27 crew members went missing”. The ministry said, adding that “the remaining 396 members” had been evacuated.

Russia gets military response from Ukraine

The Moskva destroyer was struck by two Ukrainian missiles. Before sinking in the Black Sea, according to a senior Pentagon official.

After authorities first stated that all crew members had been evacuated, the Russian defence ministry made the statement.

“The Russian defence ministry is providing all the necessary support and assistance to the families and friends of the deceased and the missing,” the statement said.

According to the report, “an overwhelming majority” of contract personnel wanted to continue serving aboard Black Sea Fleet boats.

Several Russian parents have recently demanded answers about their missing children, but the Kremlin has previously refused to provide any specifics about the casualties aboard the battleship, which can carry up to 680 sailors.

Several families have expressed their inability to locate their children who were serving aboard the Moskva on social media or in statements to independent Russian or foreign media.

Dmitry Shkrebets, a parent, claimed on social media that. When he tried to learn more about his missing son’s fate, the cruiser’s commander and his deputy went silent.

On Tuesday, when asked about the situation, President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman indicated the Kremlin was not at liberty to comment.

According to Meduza, an independent Russian-language news website, 37 members of the Moskva’s crew died, citing a source close to the command of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet.

According to the publication, some 100 individuals were wounded, with the exact number of missing men unknown.

The Moskva had about 500 people on board when it was attacked, according to Meduza, who cited a source.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time