Top best inspirational and motivational quotes by Former Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi:
“I do not like carving the world into segments; we are one world”, told by the only lady Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi. Daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru, the country’s first Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi was one of the longest-serving prime ministers of the nation with about 15 years.
Recognized for her memorable speeches and influential opinions on several social and political matters, Indira Gandhi often stormed the masses with her remarkable presence. Outspoken yet humble, she had much to offer to the nation.
We pay tribute to this powerful leader by bringing you a selection of some inspirational quotes by Indira Gandhi on knowledge, freedom, power, and feminism.
- “Happiness is a state of mind, you know. I don’t think you are permanently happy. One is happy about certain things and not so happy about others.”
- “To be liberated, a woman must feel free to be herself, not in rivalry to man but in the context of her own capacity and her personality.”
- “Without courage, you cannot practice any other virtue. You have to have courage – courage of different kinds: first, intellectual courage, to sort out different values and make up your mind about which is the one which is right for you to follow. You have to have moral courage to stick up to that – no matter what comes in your way, no matter what the obstacle and the opposition is.”
- “Popularity is not a guarantee of quality.”
- “The greatest of all contraceptives is affluence.”
- “You soon realize that the peak you’ve climbed was one of the lowest, that the mountain was part of a chain of mountains, that there are still so many, so many mountains to climb…And the more you climb, the more you want to climb – even though you’re dead tired.”
- “The purpose of life is to believe, to hope, and to strive.”
- “You must learn to be still in the midst of activity and vibrantly alive in repose.”
- “Difficulties can’t be eliminated from life. Individuals will always have them, countries will always have them…The only thing is to accept them, if possible overcome them, otherwise to come to terms with them. It’s all right to fight, yes, but only when it’s possible”.
- “Whenever you take a step forward, you are bound to disturb something.”
- “There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there”
- “People tend to forget their duties but remember their rights”
- “I have lived a long life, and I am proud that I spend the whole of my life in the service of my people. I am only proud of this and nothing else. I shall continue to serve until my last breath, and when I die, I can say, that every drop of my blood will invigorate India and strengthen it”
- “We have to prove to the disinherited majority of the world that ecology and conservation will not work against their interest but will bring an improvement in their lives”
- “There is not love where there is no will”
- “Have a bias toward action – let’s see something happen now. You can break that big plan into small steps and take the first step right away”
- “I am not a person to be pressured – by anybody or any nation”
- “We do not wish to impoverish the environment any further, and yet we cannot for a moment forget the grim poverty of large numbers of people. Are not poverty and need the greatest polluters?”