Indian cinema is diverse, and when we talk about it, we have to talk about Karan Johar. Karan Johar created his own space and style in the Indian celluloid. Apart from the sumptuous and extravagant movies that he makes, the controversies he stirs up or gets embroiled in, and his sense of fashion makes him what he is today.
Today, on the 48th Birthday of the ‘unsuitable boy’, we are going to look at some of the life-changing revelations he made and moments he shared with people he’s been close to.
- Karan Johar and Hindi Movies: In an interview with Simi Garewal, Karan revealed how during his schooldays he was ashamed to be associated with Hindi films. He said watching Hindi films were not considered cool, and that is why he told his friends, his father was a businessman (and not a filmmaker). In his early years in the industry, when Karan was interviewed by the senior journalist Karan Thapar, he said, “I always loved Hindi cinema! I watched Silsila almost 40 times on VHS. I was leading two lives.” Karan Johar started off his career with Kuch Kuch Hota Hai which starred Shah Rukh Khan, Rani Mukherjee and Kajol. Karan has come a long way, and now is one of the leading filmmakers of Indian Film Industry. With some of biggest Bollywood hits under his banner – Dharma Productions, he has also emerged as one of the biggest producers.
- The Father’s Son: Karan Johar has always been vocal about his love for his father. In 2001, during an interview at the launch of his autobiography, he said that he was always a spoiled child. His father would pamper him a lot and was always there like a shelter to protect him. Karan further went on to say how he was never exposed to the complications of the world until after his father passed away. In one his interactions with NDTV in 2017, he said, “I felt like I died with my father.” At several instances, we got to get a glimpse of Karan’s tender side. In 2004, at IIFA awards he said, “My father is my conscience. My father is my strength. My father is my support. My father is my hero. I love you, Dad!” This another time he broke down sharing that his father never let him feel inferior in the society. The love, affection, care and respect he has for his father, makes him a ‘Dadda’s Boy’.
- Karan Johar and the Chopra family: “I met Aditya Chopra at a birthday party, and I told my mom not to send me to these parties. I didn’t want to meet those Juhu guys who were totally filmy and would talk only in Hindi. Although, at one of those parties only, it was Aditya who made me realize that there was a filmmaker in me” is what Karan said in his 2001 interview with Karan Thapar.
In a conversation with Yash Raj, Karan also revealed that Lamhe was one his favourites, and it was one of the reasons that pushed him towards direction.
At the reunion of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Karan again mentioned: “I am in the industry because of Aditya Chopra and Shah Rukh Khan, and I would do anything for them.”
Talking of which brings us to Karan Johar’s quintessential lover, best friend and brother-like figure – Shah Rukh Khan.
- Karan Johar and SRK: In a chapter written on Shah Rukh Khan in his autobiography, ‘The Unsuitable Boy’, Karan reveals a lot about his relationship with SRK. Karan wrote that he met Shah Rukh when his father, Mr Yash Johar took him to Shah Rukh to sign him for Duplicate. Karan instantly grew fond of him when he saw how loving and respectful Shah Rukh was towards his father. This memory of Shah Rukh is still etched in his mind.
Rumours of them dating also did the rounds back in 2005-06. In one of the episodes of Koffee with Karan, Karan Johar asked Shah Rukh Khan what would he do if he woke up as Karan Johar. To this King Khan laughed and replied, “You know Karan, chances of me waking up as you is less and waking up with you is more. At least, that’s what the rumours say.” The emotional bond between these two is known to everyone, and the fondness has only grown over the years.
- The two stars of Karan’s world: Karan Johar’s Insta stars, his kids – Yash and Roohi Johar. Karan has never been shy to express his love for his dear ones in front of the whole world. No exception made when it comes to his kids, too. He always says that being a father is overwhelming. In an interview in 2017, he shared that initially, it was haunting, but now it’s just overwhelming. The kids sleep a lot, and I stare at them a lot. It’s the beginning of a new love story in my life”. Karan has been sharing pictures and videos of both the kids, and it’s simply beautiful to witness the bond that the father shares with his kids.
We wish the quintessential filmmaker a very happy birthday and wish him all the love and luck!